This recipe came from an estate sale. I obtained it when I purchased the family collection from the Bivins Estate in Dallas, Texas in 1990. Tried and true. This is fabulous. I make it at least once a month for my neighbor who is a die hard chocolate fanatic.
- Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- 2½ tablespoons cocoa
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups flour
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs beaten well
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Put cocoa, butter and water in a large pan and bring to a boil.
- Let cool slightly.
- Beat eggs then add buttermilk, sugar and vanilla while beating.
- Mix dry ingredients.
- Add everything to large pan with cocoa mixture and mix well.
- Pour into a sheet cake pan and bake at 400°F for 20 minutes.
- For icing beat and soften butter then slowly add remaining ingredients.
- Add nuts and put icing on cake.