- 1 cup California Avocados, pureed with 11/2 cup fresh lime juice (about 5 limes)
- 1 1/2 cups Sugar
- 1/3 cup Cornstarch
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1 1/2 cups Water
- 4 egg yolks. lightly beaten
- 1 tbsp Grated lime peel
- 9-inch baked pie shell
- Meringue, given below
- 3 egg whites
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla
- 1/4 tsp cream of Tartar
- 6 tbsp Sugar
- In saucepan blend: Sugar, Cornstarch and Salt: gradually stir in water.
- Stir to boil over medium heat and boil 1/2 minute.
- Gradually Beat half of hot mixture into egg yolks: then return to saucepan.
- Stir and boil 1 minute longer.
- Remove from heat and stir in lime peel.
- Blend in avocado puree. Turn into pie shell.
- Top with Meringue. Bake in 350 (moderate) oven 10 to 15 minutes until brown. (9-inch pie).
- Allow to Mellow at room temperature about 30 minutes before unmolding.
- Meringue Preparation
- 1 Beat egg whites, vanilla and cream of tartar at medium speed for 1 minute, or until soft peaks form.
- 1 Gradually add suger, about 1 tbsp. at a time, beating at high speed for 4 minutes, or until mixture forms stiff, glossy peaks and Sugar is dissolved.
- Immediately spread over pie, carefully seal edge to prevent shrinkage.