Unbelievably delicious, there is nothing in the world quite like this!
- oil for frying
- 2 California avocados (just beginning to ripen)
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tsp each, cumin, coriander, salt and white pepper
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup milk
- 1 cup panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, diced
- 1 chipotle pepper, in adobo sauce, chopped
- 4 roma tomatoes, chopped
- ½ tsp Chinese five-spice powder
- ¼ cup cider vinegar
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- For ketchup, heat olive oil in saucepan and saute onion and garlic for 6 minutes.
- Add chipotle pepper and tomatoes, cooking over low for 5 minutes.
- Add spices, vinegar and brown sugar, simmer for 8 minutes.
- Puree in food processor, add salt to taste.
- Heat oil to 350°F in deep fryer.
- Cut avocado in half, remove seed, quarter each half, gently peel skin away.
- Combine flour, cumin, coriander, salt and pepper in flat bowl.
- Put panko in another flat bowl.
- Lightly beat eggs and milk, and put in yet another flat bowl.
- Dredge avocados slices in flour, then egg mixture, coat with panko.
- Deep fry until golden brown.
- Remove from oil and place on paper towels to drain.
- Serve with chipotle ketchup.