Avgolemeno (Greek Egg & Lemon Soup) from the Public Health Cookbook, Seattle & King County Department of Public Health—original source of recipe, US government resource in the public domain
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Serves: 4
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken stock
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- ¼ cup long-grain rice, uncooked
- salt and pepper, to taste (optional)
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 2 eggs
- In a large saucepan, combine stock, water and corn starch and bring to boiling.
- Stir in rice and cook, uncovered for 20–25 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Whisk lemon juice and eggs in a medium bowl then gradually stir into soup and cook for 2 minutes then serve.