Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
This creamy sauce has a lemony taste that works wonderfully with most vegetable dishes - casserole and steamed - and is a favorite with stuffed cabbage. Use it to give a special touch to leftovers containing ground meat, rice, or vegetables where the lemon taste will blend.
- 2 – 3 eggs, separated
- 1 tablespoon of water
- juice of 2 – 3 lemons
- broth from the dish being cooked (or hot beef or chicken broth or stock)
- Beat the egg whites until foamy.
- Beat in egg yolks, water, lemon juice, and 2-3 ladlesful of broth, beating (or whisking) continuously.
- Add the avgolemono sauce to the dish being cooked, stir, cover with a towel for 10 minutes, and serve.
Alternate Preparation Edit
- Use boiling meat or chicken stock if you want to prepare it for a dish that doesn't have its own liquid, like leftovers.
- Remember to add the liquid very slowly, beating or whisking continuously, so it mixes smoothly.