Poultry Recipes by the South Carolina Department of Agriculture, public domain government resource—original source of recipe
- 1 cut-up chicken or 4 quarters
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1¾ cups low sodium chicken broth, warm
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 6 whole cloves
- 3 carrots peeled and sliced
- 6 Granny Smith apples peeled and sliced
- 1 cup shredded cabbage
- 1 cup applesauce
- Spray large dutch oven with vegetable cooking spray and heat over medium high;
- Add chicken and cook, browning all sides, for about 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle with nutmeg, salt and pepper.
- Spread Dijon over chicken pieces; add warm broth, vinegar, cloves and carrots; bring to boil.
- Cover, reduce heat to low and cook 15 minutes.
- Add apples, cook 5 minutes, then add cabbage, stirring into liquid.
- Cook covered about 10 minutes or until fork enters chicken easily.
- Remove chicken and vegetables with a slotted spoon to a warm serving bowl.
- Stir applesauce into liquid and boil for 5 minutes and pour over chicken and vegetables.
- Serve with rice, if desired.