Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
This recipe is from a Kashmiri kitchen.
- Contributed by Indiancuisineandculture Y-Group
- Serving size: 3 – 4 people
- 10 small rounded potatoes
- 1½ chili powder
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp ginger powder
- 3 laung / cloves
- 1 cinnamon / dalchini stick or ½ tsp cinnamon powder / dalchini
- 2 big black elaichi / cardamom
- 2 small elaichi / cardamom
- ½ tsp fennel powder
- 3 – 4 tbsp of yogurt
- 2 cups of water
- ½ zeera / cumin seed
- pinch of heeng / asafetida and oil for frying
- Boil potatoes completely soaked in water in a wider pan for 10 minutes or longer till you see skin can easily be peeled.
- After peeling the skin, prick the ollu all over with knitting needle or tooth prick or fork or tip of knife.
- Deep fry ollu till reddish brown and put aside.
- Take 3 tbsp of oil in a pressure cooker or pan.
- Add chili powder and heeng to oil and sauté.
- Add 3 spoons of yogurt and stir till yogurt dissolves in oil and forms into a thick chili paste.
- Add salt ginger powder, fennel powder ; cinnamon, crushed laung /cloves and crushed big black elaichi to yogurt chili mixture.
- Add potatoes to chili mixture.
- Add 2 cups of water or more till all the potatoes are completely dipped in water.
- Pressure cook for ten minutes and simmer for another five minutes.
- Open the cooker when pressure drops in cooker.
- Check for water consistency.
- If too much water is left, boil till only a little water is left.
- Turn off the stove.
- Crush green cardamom / elaichi and cumin / zeera.
- Sprinkle the crushed massala over potatoes and cover.
- Serve dum aloo warm.
- Left over can be stored in fridge and used next day after warming.
- If cooking in a pan, add 2 – 3 cups of water and boil for 5 minutes and simmer at a low flame till water is absorbed.