- ½ cup Dijon-style mustard
- ½ cup canola oil
- ½ cup red wine vinegar
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 4 chicken breasts
- salt to taste
- ½ cup mixed chopped herbs (parsley, basil, thyme, and rosemary)
- 2 tablespoons virgin olive oil
- 1 head iceberg lettuce
- 1 bunch watercress
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin seed oil
- 2 ounces freshly-grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 cups large bread croutons
- Combine all ingredients in a covered jar and shake until blended.
- The vinaigrette may also be made in a processor or blender, do not over mix.
- Remove the skin and bones from the breasts.
- Season them with salt; coat with the herbs.
- Warm the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat and sear the breasts for 1 minute on each side.
- Reduce heat to medium and cook 7 to 10 minutes, turning once, just until the juices run clear.
- Remove and let cool enough to handle.
- Cut into ½-inch slices, keeping all the slices from each breast together.
- Wash and break up the lettuce.
- Toss with the vinaigrette and arrange on chilled plates, covering the plates completely.
- Place all the slices from one breast around the lettuce one of the plates of lettuce; repeat with remaining slices.
- Place one-fourth of the watercress in the center of each salad.
- drizzle pumpkin seed oil over the salads.
- sprinkle each with Parmesan cheese and croutons.