- 500 g short pastry
- 500 g minced pork and beef
- 2 aubergines weighing some 500 g
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 1 rasher of bacon finely chopped
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- 2 hard-boiled eggs sliced
- salt and freshly-ground black pepper
- oil for frying
- Peel aubergines and dice coarsely.
- Put in a bowl, cover with water, add two tablespoons of salt and allow to soak for at least one hour.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan and fry the onion, add the minced meat and stir frequently.
- Drain and rinse the aubergines and add to the meat.
- Stir frequently to prevent aubergines from sticking to the bottom of the pan.
- Add bacon and when aubergines are soft add tomato puree and seasoning.
- Remove from heat and allow cool.
- Add parsley and beaten eggs, add two tablespoons of grated pecorino cheese.
- butter a round pie dish of about 25 cm diameter.
- Roll out pastry and cover bottom dish, pour the filling and place sliced eggs on top, cover again with pastry.
- Secure edges round.
- Glaze with egg yolk, prick all around with a fork and bake in a hot oven for about a to 45 minutes.