- 1½ lbs asparagus cut diagonally into 1" pieces 
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, snipped
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 slice bacon, fried and chopped
- Place steamer basket in ½" water in saucepan or skillet (water should not touch the bottom of basket).
- Place lower stalk pieces in basket.
- Cover tightly and heat to boiling; reduce heat.
- Steam 4 minutes.
- Add tips.
- Cover tightly and steam until crisp-tender, 4 to 5 minutes longer.
- toss asparagus with parsley, lemon juice and salt.
- Sprinkle with bacon.
Microwave directions Edit
- Place asparagus, ½ cup water and ¼ teaspoon salt in 1 ½-quart microwavable casserole.
- Cover tightly and microwave on high (100% depending how powerful the microwave is) 3 minutes, less if very powerful (my microwave is an older one, in fact 20 years); stir.
- Cover and microwave until crisp-tender, 2 to 3 minutes longer.
- Let stand 1 minutes; drain.
- Continue as directed.
- ↑ 2 packages (10 oz) frozen cut asparagus can be substitued for the fresh asparagus. Cook the asparagus as directed on package; drain.
Nutritional information Edit
Serving size ¾ cup. Food exchanges per serving: 1 vegetable exchanges + maybe ½ high-fat meat exchange; cal: 75; (bacon listed as saturated fat, but we wouldn't use it anyhow would we).