Asparagus and Leek Soup from the Public Health Cookbook, Seattle & King County Department of Public Health—original source of recipe, US government resource in the public domain
- Cook Time: Approximately 45 minutes
- Serves: 6
- 1½ lbs chopped fresh asparagus, washed and tough ends removed
- nonfat cooking spray
- ½ cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup leeks (white part only), washed and chopped
- ½ cup celery, chopped
- 1 small potato, peeled and cubed
- 3½ cups low-sodium chicken broth
- ½ cup non-fat sour cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- Spray a skillet with nonfat cooking spray and heat over medium heat.
- Add asparagus, onions, leeks, celery and potato, then cover and cook for 20 minutes or until vegetables are softened, stirring occasionally.
- Place vegetables in a food processor and puree until smooth.
- In a large saucepan, bring broth to a boil then reduce heat to a simmer.
- Add vegetable mixture and stir well.
- Stir in sour cream and mix until well incorporated.
- Add salt and pepper to taste (optional).