This elegant soup is the perfect start to a holiday dinner in spring. asparagus and fresh tarragon are at their seasonal peak, and yield a beautiful pale green hue. For a lovely presentation, garnish the soup with whole tarragon leaves.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 cans (14½ ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 pounds asparagus, cut into 1" pieces
- 3 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh tarragon, chopped, divided
- ¾ cup nondairy creamer
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and cook 5 minutes, until softened but not browned.
- Add broth, asparagus, celery, salt, pepper and half of the tarragon to the pot.
- Bring to a boil.
- Lower heat, cover and simmer 20 minutes, until asparagus is very tender.
- In a blender, purée soup in batches until smooth.
- Return to pot.
- Add nondairy creamer and remaining tarragon.
- Heat soup through over medium heat.