Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
This is a beautiful high protein, light spring soup.
- 1 pound asparagus
- 5 cups chicken stock, vegetable stock, or water
- 1 bulb spring (green) garlic, separated into cloves if cloves have formed, peeled and thinly sliced
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 large eggs
- ¼ cup freshly grated pecorino or Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- ½ cup pasta or rice, cooked, or 4 to 6 slices toasted Italian bread (optional)
- Break off the woody ends of the asparagus stalks and combine them with the stock or water and the garlic in a soup pot and bring to a simmer. Simmer 15 minutes. Using a skimmer, tongs, or a slotted spoon, remove the asparagus stems and discard.
- Season the broth to taste with salt and pepper. Slice the asparagus into 1-inch pieces and add to the broth. Simmer 8 to 12 to minutes. It should be very tender and fragrant, but still bright green and not mushy.
- Just before serving, beat the eggs, cheese, and parsley together in a bowl. Have the soup at a bare simmer. Making sure that the soup isn't boiling, whisk a ladleful into the egg mixture. Stir well and whisk back into the soup. Whisk constantly over very low heat for 3 minutes, then ladle into bowls and serve, with a spoonful of pasta or rice, or a slice of toast in each bowl if desired.
- This soup must be served right away.