- 1/2 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup chopped Onion (about 1 large)
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 4 cups chopped asparagus stems (about 2 bunches)
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 2 cups fresh spinach, stems removed, washed, and drained
- 1/4 cup cornstarch mixed with 1/4 cup vegetable stock
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Heat a medium saucepan over medium-high heat and add the olive oil to lightly coat the bottom of the pan. Stir in the Onion, garlic, asparagus and ginger and cook until the Onion has softened, about 5 minutes. Pour in the stock and simmer for 3 minutes. (Do not overcook the asparagus; you want it to be bright green.) Add the spinach and simmer for 2 minutes.
Carefully ladle the asparagus mixture into a blender and process until smooth.
Strain the blended mixture through a colander lined with cheesecloth or through a find mesh sieve.
Pour the strained mixture back into the saucepan and bring to a low boil. Mix in the cornstarch mixture and cook, stirring constantly, until the sauce thickens and coats the back of a spoon, about 5 minutes. Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg.