Asparagus Salad with Lemon Soy Vinaigrette from the Public Health Cookbook by the Seattle and King County Department of Public Health—original source of recipe, government resource in the public domain
- Serves: 4
- 1¼ lbs asparagus cut diagonally into 1½ inch pieces
- 10 scallions, trimmed with some green
- 1 scallion, chopped and set aside
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- ¼ teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
- ½ cup nonfat, reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon low-sodium soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh-squeezed lemon juice
- Steam asparagus and scallions in a steam basket over boiling water for 5 minutes or until asparagus is crisp-tender.
- Remove from heat and rinse with cold water in a colander to stop the cooking.
- Drain and let cool.
- Make the vinaigrette: in a small saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Add ginger and cook until it begins to brown.
- Add the reserved chopped scallion and cook for 15 seconds then stir in the chicken broth, vinegar, soy sauce and sugar.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a large bowl, toss steamed asparagus and scallions with the vinaigrette then add ground pepper and lemon juice then serve.