- Break off butt ends of asparagus.
- Fine-chop by hand, or with food processor fitted with steel blade.
- Scrape into bowl.
- Fine-grate carrots by hand, or cut into ½" rounds and fine-chop in food processor.
- Combine with asparagus.
- Bowl, combine 1 egg yolk with seasonings, oil and parsley.
- Stir in garlic, onion and cottage cheese or ricotta (stir it up first).
- Combine asparagus mixture with batter.
- Add matzoh meal, a tablespoon at a time, stirring after each addition.
- Beat egg whites on high speed of electric mixer until foamy.
- Add cream of tartar and continue beating until stiff but not dry.
- Fold into pancakes.
- Cook the latkes in batches, 4 at a time, or use 2 large nonstick skillets, dividing oil.
- When oil is hot, over med.
- High heat, ladle a heaping tablespoon of batter for each pancake into the skillet, spreading to 3 inch diameter (pancakes should be about ¼" thick).
- Cook until well browned (4 to 5 minutes) before turning.
- Brown on second side, lifting up with spatula after 3 minutes to check doneness.
- Keep warm in preheated 400 °F toaster oven, or reg.