This recipe came from an estate sale. I obtained it when I purchased the family collection from the Scranton Estate in Fate, Texas in 1991.
- Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- 5 teaspoons cornstarch divided
- 4 teaspoons soy sauce divided
- 1 tablespoon dry sherry
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 tablespoon fermented salted black beans
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 clove garlic minced
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil divided
- 1 pound fresh asparagus spears trimmed and diagonally cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons water
- fresh cilantro leaves for garnish
- Combine 2 teaspoons cornstarch, 2 teaspoons soy sauce, sherry and sesame oil and mix well.
- Add chicken then stir to coat well and allow to stand 30 minutes.
- Place black beans in sieve then rinse under cold running water.
- Finely chop beans then combine with ginger and garlic and set aside.
- Combine remaining cornstarch, soy sauce, chicken broth and oyster sauce and mix well.
- Set aside.
- Peel onion then cut into eight wedges.
- Separate wedges and set aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoons vegetable oil in wok or large skillet over high heat.
- Add chicken and stir fry until cooked through about 3 minutes.
- Remove from wok and set aside.
- Heat remaining oil in wok then add onion and asparagus and stir fry 30 seconds.
- Add water then cover and cook stirring occasionally for 2 minutes.
- Return chicken to wok.
- Stir chicken broth mixture then add to wok with black bean mixture.
- Cook until sauce boils and thickens stirring constantly.