- 1 package of boneless dried codfish
- 1 half cup of sofrito
- 1 x 8 ounce can of tomato sauce
- 7 tablespoons of tomato paste
- 2 quarts of cold water
- 1 small jar of green olives (For this dish I prefer the ones with the pit they seem to hold up better.)
- salt and pepper to taste (Please don't add the salt until almost the end because the fish is salty enough)
- 3 to 4 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 cup of long-grain rice (More or less depending on how thick you want the asopao.)
- 1 tablespoon of oregano (More or less depending on your taste.)
- Remove codfish from package and rinse under cold water for a few minutes.
- Place in a large covered bowl covered with cold water and leave over night.
- When you are ready to prepare the dish rinse the codfish under cold water once more and set aside.
- In a large heavy pot add olive oil and bring up to heat.
- When you see the oil start to smoke add the sofrito and stir, add tomato paste and oregano stir once again.
- When the mixture starts to bubble add tomato sauce and stir.
- It is very important that you stir the mixture when adding the ingredients so that it does not burn.
- Next add the and then the codfish making sure to flake it.
- Now add water and bring to a boil.
- Once it comes to a boil lower the flame and allow it to simmer.
- This would be a good time to taste and adjust as needed.
- If you find that it has sufficient salt just add pepper.
- Check that you have enough liquid if not you can add more don't worry remember this going to be a soup.
- At this point you can add the rice and bring up the heat until it starts to boil.
- Now lower the heat and let simmer.
- You will know it is done when you see that the rice is nice and soft.
- If you find that it is too thick you add a can of chicken broth.
Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.