This oriental vegan/vegetarian recipe is packed and cooked with real vegetables, chicken broth, and soy sauce and served with other meat or seafood dishes. Mushrooms and corn potentially work for this recipe, too.
- 1 tsp. sesame oil
- ½ lb. fresh or frozen snow pea pods, with the ends trimmed
- ½ cup carrots, sliced diagonally
- ¼ cup canned water chestnuts, sliced
- ½ cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tsp. low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tsp. cornstarch
- Add oil to a nonstick skillet and heat on moderate-high.
- Add snow peas and carrots.
- Sauté 2 minutes. Add water chestnuts and broth.
- Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender.
- Combine soy sauce and cornstarch; just stir until cornstarch dissolves. Add to vegetable mixture.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until sauce thickens. Serve immediately.
- Right now unlike other peas, snow peas are eaten whole with the shell intact.
- No cornstarch on hand? Use 2 teaspoons of all-purpose flour instead.
- Fruits and Veggies Matter from the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention—US government resource in the public domain