- 2 Asian pears, peeled, cored and chopped
- ½ shallot, minced
- 1¼ teaspoons diced fresh ginger
- 1 cup water
- ½ vanilla bean stick, scored in half
- 1½ tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 1 tablespoon mirin
- 1 ounce soybean oil
- black pepper
- ¼ pound baby greens
- ½ carrot, shredded (optional)
- In a 250 g saucepan, cook pears with shallot, ginger and water over medium heat until soft.
- Strain and set aside to cool.
- Once at room temperature, puree one of the pears and strain through a sieve.
- Remove the seeds from the vanilla bean and mix them into the puree.
- Discard the pod.
- Add the sherry vinegar and mirin and process in a blender or food processor.
- Slowly add the oil to emulsify.
- Season with the salt and pepper.
- Dice the remaining pear for garnish.
- To serve, toss the baby greens well with the pear mixture.
- Divide among 4 serving plates and garnish with the shredded carrot (if using) and the diced pear.