- dash of sweetener (to balance flavours)
- Slice the upper ⅔ of the leaves off the artichokes, then break off the remaining leaves, snapping them off at the base.
- Trim off the dark green stubs, going around the artichoke with a paring knife.
- Cut them in quarters, remove the fuzzy choke and slice each quarter into pieces ¼-to-½-inch thick.
- As you work, rub the cut surfaces with lemon and put them in a bowl with the lemon juice and water to cover.
- Gently warm the olive oil with half the basil.
- When it is fairly hot, but not sizzling, add the onions and the sliced artichokes.
- Salt lightly and give them a stir to coat them with the oil, then add ¾ cup water and cook over a medium-low flame.
- As the water cooks off, add more, in ½-cup increments until the artichokes are cooked, about 25 minutes.
- Add the peas and continue cooking until they are done.
- Let any liquids reduce until they are syrupy.
- Taste and season with salt.
- Add the rest of the basil, the parsley and the butter or olive oil.
- To brighten the flavors, stir in a little lemon juice or champagne vinegar to taste.
Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.