This recipe came from an estate sale. I obtained it when I purchased the family collection from the Morgan Estate in Austin, Texas in 1982.
- Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- 2 pounds artichokes
- 1 cup salt
- 1 gallon water
- 8 red bell peppers
- 8 large white onions
- 1 pound sugar
- 1 quart vinegar
- 2 tablespoons mustard seed
- 1 tablespoons turmeric
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Was artichokes well and trim if necessary.
- Dissolve 1 cup salt in water in a large pot.
- Add artichokes and let stand overnight then drain well.
- Remove stems and seeds from peppers and peel onions.
- Grind peppers, onions and artichokes using coarse blade then set aside.
- In a large preserving kettle combine vinegar, sugar and spices then heat to boiling.
- Add ground vegetables and heat to boiling.
- Ladle boiling mixture into hot jars to within ¼ inch of the tops.
- Run a slim non metal tool down along the insides of jars to release any air bubbles.
- Add additional relish if necessary to within ¼ inch of the tops of the jars.
- Wipe tops and thread of jars with damp clean cloth.
- Put on lids and screw bands as manufacturer directs.
- Process in boiling water bath 10 minutes.