- 2 lbs octopus
- ¾ cup olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 large green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper, chopped
- pepper, to taste
- 1 lb short-grain rice (preferably a short-grain risotto rice like arborio)
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 large onion, whole
- 3 tomatoes, skinned and chopped
- salt to taste
- chili powder, to taste
- Precook octopus in red wine with a little water and ad the whole onion (without peeling it). The octopus will exude liquid so that you are likely to end up with more cooking liquid at the end. Retain this and add water to make it up to 2½ cups.
- Cut the drained octopus into small pieces.
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan; add a chopped onion and cook gently, stirring, for 2 or 3 minutes.
- Add garlic, tomatoes, and pepper. Season with salt, pepper and chilli powder to taste.
- Cook for a few minutes longer.
- Add the cooking liquid from the octopus and bring it to the boil.
- Add rice and bring back to the boil, then turn the heat very low and put the lid on the saucepan.
- After 15 minutes, stir to ensure the rice is not catching on the bottom of the saucepan.
- In 5 minutes more, taste a grain or two to make sure it is soft. The rice should still be quite damp.