Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Means "rice with chicken"; this is a dish made with rice, chicken, tomatoes, green peppers, seasonings and sometimes saffron.
- 1½ x 15-oz cans (about 3 cups) chicken broth
- ¼ tsp saffron (optional)
- 1 x 2½ pound chicken, cut into 8 serving pieces
- 4 tbsp olive or other cooking oil
- 1 tsp paprika
- ½ tsp minced garlic
- ½ tsp oregano
- 1 large onion, chopped
- ½ cup sliced fresh mushrooms or 1 x 3 oz can sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 cup finely chopped fresh tomatoes or 1 x 8-oz can (1 cup) tomatoes, cut up finely with a spoon
- 1½ cup white rice, uncooked
- ½ tsp salt
- fresh ground pepper to taste
- Bring chicken broth to a boil, sprinkle with saffron, and stir gently.
- Set aside.
- Meanwhile, rinse chicken pieces in cool water and pat dry with paper towels.
- Coat chicken pieces with a mixture of 1 tbsp.
- Oil, paprika, garlic, and oregano.
- Heat remaining 3 tbsp.
- Oil in a large skillet with a lid.
- Saute chicken pieces until golden.
- Set chicken aside on a platter.
- Sauté onion and mushroooms in the skillet until onion is almost soft.
- Stir in tomatoes.
- Add rice and toss until coated.
- Add chicken broth, chicken pieces, salt, and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, lower heat, cover, and simmer until the chicken is tender and rice has absorbed liquid (20 to 30 minutes).