Stewed rice with chicken
- 1 x 3 to 3½ pound fryer cut up washed and patted dry
- 1 to 2 tablespoons of adobo
- 3 to 4 tablespoons of sofrito
- 2 table spoons of olive oil
- 1 can of tomato sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 cups of white long-grain rice, washed in cold water and drained.
- 5 cups of cold water or chicken broth
- Season chicken parts with adobo place in a bowl and refrigerate at least 4 hours (preferably over night).
- In a large pot add olive oil bring up to heat add chicken and fry until reaches a nice light brown in color.
- If you see that there is to much fat in the pot remove all but 3 table spoons.
- Add sofrito and stir making sure to cover all of the chicken with the mixture.
- Allow to cook for about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the tomato sauce, once again making sure to cover the chicken with the sauce and the mixture.
- Allow to simmer covered on a medium flame for about 15 minutes.
- Now would be a good time to taste for salt and pepper and add if needed.
- When the chicken is tender stir in the rice make sure to cover the rice with the sauce.
- Add water or broth and bring to a boil then bring the heat to low and cover allow to cook for at least 35 minutes do not uncover during this time.
- At the end of the cooking time turn off the burner and allow to rest 15 minutes covered before serving.