Makes 6 servings.
- 12 choice chicken pieces (about 2½ pounds)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- ½ cup chopped onion
- ½ cup chopped green bell pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- 1½ cups chicken broth
- ½ cup drained canned tomatoes, crushed
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- ¼ cup chopped pimentos
- 1 cup cooked green peas (optional)
- Cook chicken in oil in Dutch oven or large ovenproof skillet, until brown on all sides.
- Stir in onion, green pepper, garlic, salt, pepper and paprika. Cook until vegetables are soft but not brown.
- Add broth, tomatoes and rice. Bring to boil. Cover tightly and bake at 350 °F for 45 minutes or until chicken and rice are tender and liquid is absorbed.
- Stir in pimentos and green peas; fluff lightly.