Makes 4 servings.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into thick strips
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium red pepper, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- 1 medium tomato, seeded and chopped
- 2 cups chicken broth
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Cook chicken 8 to 10 minutes or until brown on all sides. Remove from pan.
- Add onion, green pepper, red pepper, garlic, chili powder, cumin, salt, pepper and turmeric. Cook 2 to 3 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Add rice and tomatoes; stir until rice is lightly browned. Add broth; bring mixture to a boil, place chicken pieces on top of mixture.
- Cover and simmer 20 minutes.
- To serve, fluff with fork stirring in chicken pieces.