Guatemala style Chicken and Rice
- 3 lb Chicken pieces, skin and fat discarded
- 1 tbl corn oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped Onion
- 1 clv garlic, chopped fine
- 1/2 cup chopped ripe tomato
- 1 1/2 cup raw rice
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1/3 cup stuffed green olives
- 1 tbl capers
- 2 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup green peas
- 1/2 cup sweet red pimento, cut into strips
- 1 x hard cooked egg, sliced
- 2 tbl grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large skillet brown the Chicken in the oil over medium heat for 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle with 1/2 tsp salt and the black pepper.
- Remove the Chicken and set aside. In the same skillet with the Chicken fat, fry the Onion, garlic and tomato for 2 minutes.
- Add the rice and fry for 2 minutes more.
- Add the carrots, and capers and mix everything together.
- Pour in the broth and Chicken pieces.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover skillet and simmer until broth has been absorbed, about 10 minutes.
- Add the green peas. Cover skillet with aluminum foil and punch 8 holes in the top to allow steam to escape.
- Bake in a 300F oven for 30 minutes.
- Fluff up the mixture once or twice during the baking time.
- Serve warm.
- Decorate the surface with the pimento strips and egg slices and sprinkle with the Cheese.
- The rice should be dry, loose and not sticky.
- Serve with fried ripe plantain slices, a salsa picante and pickled vegetables.