Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Guatemala style Chicken and Rice
- 3 lb Chicken pieces, skin and fat discarded
- 1 tbl corn oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped Onion
- 1 clv garlic, chopped fine
- 1/2 cup chopped ripe tomato
- 1 1/2 cup raw rice
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1/3 cup stuffed green olives
- 1 tbl capers
- 2 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup green peas
- 1/2 cup sweet red pimento, cut into strips
- 1 x hard cooked egg, sliced
- 2 tbl grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large skillet brown the Chicken in the oil over medium heat for 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle with 1/2 tsp salt and the black pepper.
- Remove the Chicken and set aside. In the same skillet with the Chicken fat, fry the Onion, garlic and tomato for 2 minutes.
- Add the rice and fry for 2 minutes more.
- Add the carrots, and capers and mix everything together.
- Pour in the broth and Chicken pieces.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover skillet and simmer until broth has been absorbed, about 10 minutes.
- Add the green peas. Cover skillet with aluminum foil and punch 8 holes in the top to allow steam to escape.
- Bake in a 300F oven for 30 minutes.
- Fluff up the mixture once or twice during the baking time.
- Serve warm.
- Decorate the surface with the pimento strips and egg slices and sprinkle with the Cheese.
- The rice should be dry, loose and not sticky.
- Serve with fried ripe plantain slices, a salsa picante and pickled vegetables.