Cuban rice pudding
- ½ cup rice
- 1½ cups water
- 1 small piece of lemon peel
- 1 small cinnamon stick
- 4 cups milk
- 1 cup sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Wash the rice.
- Cook the rice in the water, lemon peel and cinnamon stick until rice is soft (about 10 minutes or so).
- Add the milk, salt, vanilla and sugar.
- Bring to just under a boil and turn down heat.
- Cook at medium-low heat, uncovered, until it gets thick and rice has absorbed most of the milk, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking.
- Remove and discard the cinnamon stick pour into one large bowl or several smaller bowls and sprinkle with cinnamon.