- 2 coconuts, meat removed
- 3 to 4 cups rice (raw)
- 1 tbsp sugar
- water (2 cups for every cup of rice)
- Cut the coconut into small pieces.
- In a blender, grind the coconut using boiling water.
- Do small amounts at a time.
- To get a stronger coconut flavor, reuse the coconut milk from the previous blending.
- Be sure to strain out the ground coconut meat.
- In a large heavy saucepan, bring the coconut milk to boiling.
- Allow it to boil for 3 or 4 minutes.
- This helps form the coconut oil.
- Add the rice, sugar and salt (as desired).
- Allow to continue boiling until the rice begins to rise in the water.
- Be careful not to have the temperature too high as this rice burns and sticks easily.
- As it begins to dry, cover tightly, reduce heat to low and allow the rice to finish cooking.