Manteiga brown rice and bananas
- 2 cups brown rice
- 2 cups tomato juice
- 2 medium onions
- 2 medium green peppers
- ½ cup peanut oil
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 3 medium tomatoes, chopped
- ½ cup peanut butter
- 2 medium bananas
- Pour the brown rice, tomato juice, and 2 cups water in a 2-quart pot over high heat.
- When the mixture comes to a boil, cover, reduce heat and simmer until rice is done (45 to 50 minutes).
- Meanwhile, slice onions and green peppers and sauté in ¼ cup peanut oil until onions are soft.
- Add curry powder, salt, and pepper; mix well, heat for 1 minute.
- Add ¼ cup water, tomatoes, and peanut butter.
- Simmer for 5 minutes.
- In a large skillet heat the remaining ¼ cup peanut oil.
- Peel bananas and cut into ½-inch slices.
- Sauté bananas until lightly golden on both sides.
- To serve, place the rice in a serving platter, pour the onion sauce over the rice and top with the fried bananas.
- This dish goes well with grilled chicken, pork or beef.