Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Red beans with rice
- 12 ounces red beans
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ lb. salt pork
- 2 quarts water
- ½ lb lean pork or ham
- ¼ cup Spanish olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 small green bell pepper, chopped
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 2¼ cups long-grain rice
- Soak the beans in a large pot with water for at least 8 hours or overnight.
- Bring the beans to a boil, reduce the heat and let cook for 1 hour and a half to forty five minutes or until tender, adding water if necessary.
- Cut the salt pork into medium chunks and cook in a large casserole.
- Remove from casserole and drain in paper towel.
- Cook the ham chunks in the rendered fat for 5 minutes.
- Remove the ham and wipe out the casserole with more paper towel.
- Add the oil and cook the onion, garlic, and bell pepper over medium heat until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Return the salt pork and ham to the casserole.
- Add the beans and 5 cups of the cooking liquid (add water if necessary) to the onions and bell pepper.
- Raise the heat to high, add the oregano, cumin, sugar, salt, pepper, and rice, and cook, uncovered, until most of the liquid has been absorbed, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Stir the rice with a fork, reduce the heat to low, and cook 10 to 15 minutes more until done.