Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
This fine stir-fry will make fans out of people who are ho-hum about cabbage. This recipe is from Madhur Jaffrey's cookbook, Food for Family and Friends.
- Serves: 6
- 1 cabbage, small, about 2½ cups
- 2 onions, medium
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- ½ tsp cumin seeds, whole
- ½ tsp fennel seeds, whole
- 4 tsp sesame seeds
- ½ tsp salt
- Remove coarse outer leaves from cabbage, quarter and core.
- Cut into fine fine shred, either by hand or with food processor.
- Set aside.
- Peel onions; cut in half lengthwise.
- Cut crosswise into thin half rings; set aside.
- In large wok or large wide pot over medium heat, heat oil.
- When very hot, add the cumin and the fennel seeds.
- As soon as the seeds turn a shade darker (just a few minutes) toss in the sesame seeds.
- Stir for a second before adding onions.
- Stir fry 2 or 3 minutes or til browned on the edges.
- Cover tightly and turn heat to low.
- Cook 2–3 minutes or til cabbage wilts.
- Uncover and cook over high heat, stir fry 5 minutes or til vegetables are very tender.