Makes 6 servings.
- ⅓ cup chopped onion
- ¼ cup chopped green pepper
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- 2 tablespoons bacon drippings or vegetable oil
- 2 cups boiling beef broth or consommé
- 1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ¾ teaspoon cumin seed
- Cook onion, pepper and rice in bacon drippings until rice is golden brown. Use low heat and stir to prevent over-browning.
- Turn into shallow 2-quart casserole. Add drippings, broth, worcestershire sauce, salt and cumin; stir well.
- Cover tightly with lid or foil and bake at 350 °F for 30 minutes or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed.
- Fluff lightly with fork.