Before commercial ice cream was available in the Gulf countries, homemade ices were very popular in the summer heat. This is a basic recipe calling for oranges and lemons, but can easily be substituted with crushed , strawberries, or whatever your favorite fruit may be. From "The Arabian Delights Cookbook." Recipe time does not include freezing.
- 1 cup sugar (more or less, depending on the sweetness of the fruit)
- 2½ cups water
- 1⅓ cups fresh orange juice
- ½ cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 orange, rind of, finely grated
- 1 lemon, rind of, finely grated
- Bring the sugar to a boil.
- Boil 5–10 minutes, until the sugar is completely dissolved; cool slightly and strain if necessary.
- Add the juices and rinds, stirring to mix well, or blend in a food processor.
- Pour liquid in glass bowl and freeze until slushy.
- Use an electric mixer or a food processor to beat the frozen mixture until smooth.
- Pour into a container of your choice, and return to the freezer.
- Freeze until firm.