Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Before commercial ice cream was available in the Gulf countries, homemade ices were very popular in the summer heat. This is a basic recipe calling for oranges and lemons, but can easily be substituted with crushed, strawberries, or whatever your favorite fruit may be. From "The Arabian Delights Cookbook." Recipe time does not include freezing.
- 1 cup sugar (more or less, depending on the sweetness of the fruit)
- 2½ cups water
- 1⅓ cups fresh orange juice
- ½ cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 orange, rind of, finely grated
- 1 lemon, rind of, finely grated
- Bring the sugar to a boil.
- Boil 5–10 minutes, until the sugar is completely dissolved; cool slightly and strain if necessary.
- Add the juices and rinds, stirring to mix well, or blend in a food processor.
- Pour liquid in glass bowl and freeze until slushy.
- Use an electric mixer or a food processor to beat the frozen mixture until smooth.
- Pour into a container of your choice, and return to the freezer.
- Freeze until firm.