This recipe yields 4 servings.
- Wine recommendation: a full-bodied zinfandel with plum, cherry, and black pepper notes makes a great match for the fennel in the moist chicken.
- Beer recommendation: a traditional marzen beer will have the light body and spicy profile to match this refreshingly herbaceous chicken.
- ½ cup finely-chopped flat leaf parsley
- ½ cup finely-chopped fresh fennel tops (or 2 tsp dried fennel seed)
- ½ cup finely-chopped green onions
- 1 carton non-fat plain yoghurt - (8 oz)
- salt to taste
- freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 1 chicken - (about 3 lbs) butterflied
- 1 tsp olive oil
- Combine parsley, fennel, onions, yogurt, in a glass bowl.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover and chill until ready to use.
- Remove excess fat from chicken.
- Rinse and pat dry.
- To butterfly chicken, use poultry shears or a sharp knife to split the bird lengthwise along one side of the backbone.
- With the breast side up, pull the body open, pressing down firmly on the breast until the rib bones crack and the bird lies reasonably flat.
- Place fingers between the skin and meat of the chicken to separate and make space for the herb mixture.
- Place herb mixture under chicken skin, pushing it in gently under skin until all parts of meat are covered.
- Massage the chicken to evenly distribute herb mixture under the skin.
- Let sit at least 30 minutes or overnight in the refrigerator.
- Brush chicken skin lightly with oil; season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Place breast side up in center of cooking grate and grill for 45 to 55 minutes or until the juices run clear and the skin is crisp.
- It is not necessary to turn chicken.