This recipe yields 4 servings.
- ½ cup quick-cooking rice cereal (½ minute to cook)
- 1 cup minced onion
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- 1½ tbsp tomato paste
- 6 cup beef broth
- 2 tbsp long-grain white rice
- ¾ lb ground lean (7% fat or less) beef
- ½ tsp salt - (about)
- ¼ tsp freshly-ground pepper - (about)
- ¼ cup chopped fresh mint leaves
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- Mix rice cereal with ⅓ cup cold water; let stand at least 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a 5- to 6-quart nonstick pan, stir half the onion and 1 teaspoon garlic over medium-high heat until limp, about 4 minutes.
- Stir in tomato paste, broth, and rice.
- Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer until rice is tender to bite, 12 to 15 minutes.
- As rice cooks, mix beef with ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper.
- Mix half the beef mixture with one-fourth of the rice cereal mixture, remaining onion and garlic, 1 tablespoon mint, and parsley.
- In a food processor, whirl remaining beef mixture and remaining rice cereal mixture until it is a sticky paste.
- Shape each of the meat mixtures into 4 oval pieces.
- In your palm, flatten 1 piece of the beef paste until it's ¼-inch thick.
- Lay a coarse-beef oval over the thin piece and fold paste around it, shaping into a 3-inch-long football.
- Repeat to form each meatball, and as shaped, drop into simmering broth.
- Simmer over low heat, covered, turning meatballs once, until no longer pink in center (cut to test), about 10 minutes.
- Add lemon juice, remaining mint, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Ladle meatball soup into bowls.