Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Always check the ingredients to make sure the product is vegan.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup dried red lentils
- ¾ teaspoon turmeric
- ¾ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 cup basmati rice, cooked according to package directions
- 2 plum tomatoes, seeded, chopped
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 jalapeño chile, seeded, chopped
- Heat oil in medium skillet over medium heat.
- Add 1 cup onion and 1 minced garlic clove and sauté until tender and golden brown, about 10 minutes.
- Set aside.
- Combine 3 cups water, lentils, remaining 1 cup onion, 2 minced garlic cloves, turmeric, cumin and ginger in heavy medium saucepan.
- Bring to boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer until lentils are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Transfer half of lentil mixture to processor; purée until smooth.
- Return purée to same saucepan.
- Mix in sautéed onion mixture.
- Simmer 5 minutes to blend flavors.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Spoon rice into bowls.
- Spoon dal over.
- Top with tomatoes, cilantro and chile.