Always check the ingredients to make sure the product is vegan.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup dried red lentils
- ¾ teaspoon turmeric
- ¾ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 cup basmati rice, cooked according to package directions
- 2 plum tomatoes, seeded, chopped
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 jalapeño chile, seeded, chopped
- Heat oil in medium skillet over medium heat.
- Add 1 cup onion and 1 minced garlic clove and sauté until tender and golden brown, about 10 minutes.
- Set aside.
- Combine 3 cups water, lentils, remaining 1 cup onion, 2 minced garlic cloves, turmeric, cumin and ginger in heavy medium saucepan.
- Bring to boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer until lentils are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Transfer half of lentil mixture to processor; purée until smooth.
- Return purée to same saucepan.
- Mix in sautéed onion mixture.
- Simmer 5 minutes to blend flavors.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Spoon rice into bowls.
- Spoon dal over.
- Top with tomatoes, cilantro and chile.