Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
- 150 g (5 oz) plain flour
- 25 g (1 oz) ground rice
- 65 g (2 oz) butter
- 1 tsp almond essence
- 175 ml (6 fl oz) milk
- 2 beaten eggs
- 65 g (2 oz) caster sugar
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- 1 x 227 g (8 oz) can apricots in juice
- 1 – 2 tbsp optional apricot brandy
- icing sugar, to dust,
- cream, to serve
- Sieve 75 g (3 oz) flour into a bowl and stir in the ground rice.
- Rub in 50 g (2 oz) butter until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Stir in the almond essence and enough milk to make a pastry dough.
- Roll out on a floured work surface and use to line an 18 cm (7 inch) flan ring.
- Bake blind at 190 °C / 375 °F / gas 5 for 20 minutes.
- Whisk together the eggs and 50 g (2 oz) sugar over a bowl of hot water until thick and creamy.
- Fold in the remaining flour.
- Melt the remaining butter and gently fold into the mixture.
- Spoon the sponge mixture into the baked flan case.
- Bake for a further 20 minutes until risen and golden.
- Blend the cornflour with the remaining sugar and milk in a saucepan.
- Heat gently, bring to a boil stirring continuously until the sauce thickens, boils and is smooth.
- Cook for a minute.
- Drain and purée the apricots with a little juice and stir into the cornflour sauce with the brandy.
- Slice the top off the sponge.
- Pour the sauce into the sponge.
- Replace top and dust with icing sugar.
- Serve with cream.