- Butter the pudding basin thickly with the ounce of butter, then press in 3 ounces of the sugar.
- Mix the flour, salt and suet together.
- Add just enough cold water to make a soft.
- But not sticky dough.
- Do not overwork or you will get tough pastry.
- Roll out two-thirds of the pastry and line the buttery, sugary basin.
- Slice in the peeled and cored apples.
- Sprinkle in the last ounce of sugar.
- Make a circle for a lid with the last of the pastry.
- Moisten the edges to make a firm seal, pinching the two layers of pastry together well.
- Trim any surplus.
- Cover with a double layer of greaseproof and steam for two hours.
- Turn out your pudding for service and a caramel sauce will be coating the outside.