This is good enough for a party when served with ladyfingers, snow cake, or sponge cake.
- Pioneer and Indian Recipes by the Whitman Mission National Historical Site, National Parks Service, US Department of the Interior, public domain government resource—original source of recipe
- Peel and core apples.
- Simmer in water with lemon rind until tender.
- Put through colander and cool.
- Take egg whites, beat to a stiff froth, and fold into apples.
- Add sugar, and continue beating until stiff.
- Serve in a glass dish with either custard sauce made with the egg yolks, or whipped cream.