This recipe came from the Hartman Estate Sale. It was obtained it as part of the purchase of the Family Collection from the Hartman Estate in Arlington, Texas in 1984.
- 2 Cups flour
- 1 Teaspoon salt
- 1 Cup shortening
- 2 egg yolks, beaten
- 1 Teaspoon lemon juice
- 5 Tablespoons water
- 8 Large apples, sliced
- 1 Cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 Teaspoon salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 Teaspoon nutmeg
- Crumble flour, salt and shortening as for pie dough.
- Combine lemon juice and water with beaten egg yolks then add to flour mixture making a soft dough.
- Mix apples with remaining ingredients.
- Divide dough for two crusts then roll out one at a time and fit into pan and bring up on sides.
- Lay apples in row on bottom crust and cover with top crust.
- Bake at 375 °F for 40 minutes.
- While still warm brush with thin icing (made by mixing ingredients listed above)
- Cut in Squares.