Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Makes 6 servings.
- 3 cups cooked rice
- 3 cups milk, divided
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons Sugar, divided
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1 tart Apple, cored and finely chopped
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- Combine rice, 2-1/2 cups milk, 1/2 cup Sugar, butter and 1/2 teaspoon salt in medium saucepan.
- Cook over medium heat until thickened, 20 to 25 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Beat egg yolks with remaining 1/2 cup milk.
- Add to rice mixture and cook 2 minutes longer, stirring constantly.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon vanilla and lemon peel.
- Turn half into buttered shallow 2-quart casserole.
- Combine Apple, raisins and walnuts.
- Sprinkle over rice. Top with remaining custard.
- Bake at 350 degrees 25 to 30 minutes or until hot.
- Beat egg whites until frothy.
- Add remaining 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons Sugar, salt and vanilla.
- Beat until stiff but not dry.
- Spread over hot filling, sealing meringue to edges of dish.
- Bake 12 to 15 minutes, or until peaks are golden brown. Serve warm.