"Kugel" is a noodle dish that adapts very well to apples. If making for the lunchbox, prepare the day before and refrigerate. Cut into serving-size squares.
- Serves 6
- 4 cups uncooked egg noodles
- 8 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 pound low-fat cottage cheese
- 1 egg
- 2 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 Rome Beauty apples
- Cook egg noodles according to package directions until just tender; drain.
- Meanwhile, in large bowl with electric mixer, beat cream cheese and brown sugar until well blended.
- Add cottage cheese, egg, egg whites, vanilla, cinnamon and nutmeg, beating until combined.
- Heat oven to 350 °F.
- Lightly grease 8-or 9-inch square pan.
- Core, quarter and thinly slice apples; stir apple slices and cooked noodles into cheese mixture.
- Spread mixture in pan; bake 45 minutes or until kugel is golden and firm.
Nutritional information Edit
- Protein: 20g | Fat: 13g | Carbohydrate: 57g | Fiber: 4g | Sodium: 458mg | Cholesterol: 103mg | Calories: 429