Cook Time: 15 minutes prep, 20 minutes baking
- 6 cups baking apples, sliced, peeled and cored
- ⅔ cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons water (divided into 4 and 2)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Stir together apples, ⅔ cup sugar and 4 tbsp water in a large sauce-pan.
- Simmer, covered for 5 minutes or until fruit is tender.
- Add 2 tablespoons water and 1 tablespoon cornstarch.
- Cook and stir until thick and bubbly.
- In a medium bowl stir together flour, 2 tbsp sugar, and baking powder.
- Cut in butter until mixture resembles large crumbs.
- Set aside.
- In a small bowl stir together the egg and milk.
- Add to flour mixture, just to moisten.
Putting It All Together
- Transfer filling to 2-quart square baking dish.
- Using a large spoon, drop topping into small mounds on top of the filling.
- Bake for 20 – 25 minutes in a 400 °F oven (205 °C).
- Cobblers can be made with peaches, pears, nectarines, apricots, and various types of berries.