This makes a heavy moist bread that is delicious. Any kind of nuts can be used and any kind of dried fruit that your prefer. This can be sugar-free using Splenda brown sugar blend and Margo's apple butter recipe using Splenda.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (i used half whole wheat flour)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1½ cups apple butter (divided)
- ½ cup apple juice
- ¼ cup butter, melted
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup raisins (optional)
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- Combine flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- In a small bowl mix ¾ cup apple butter, apple juice, butter and egg together.
- Fold in the raisins and chopped nuts.
- Add the apple butter mixture to the dry ingredients and blend together.
- Pour half the mixture in a loaf pan that has been sprayed with cooking spray.
- Gently spread the reserved ¾ cup apple butter over the batter.
- Pour the rest of the batter over the apple butter mixture and spread evenly over the top to cover.
- Bake at 350 °F for 55 to 65 minutes or until done.
- To bake "my mistake loaf" just put all the apple butter in the wet ingredients and blend into the dry ingredients.
- I cut up dried pineapple pieces and added with the nuts instead of the raisins.
- Pour the whole batter into the loaf pan and bake as above.