Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
This soft, delightful dessert is made with bread and tasty apples.
- Apple Brown Betty from Recipes for Better Nutrition During Cancer Treatment by the National Cancer Institute, public domain government resource—original source of recipe
- Cook Time: About 45 minutes
- Serves: 4
- 4 cups thinly sliced pared apples or 1 can (16 oz.) pie apples, drained
- 2 cups bread cubes or torn bread pieces
- ½ cup brown sugar, packed
- ⅛ tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tbsp margarine
- ¼ cup hot water
- Grease 1-quart baking dish.
- Arrange half of apples on bottom of dish.
- Follow with half of bread, then half of sugar.
- Repeat layers.
- Sprinkle cinnamon over top, cut margarine in pieces and lay them on top, finish by pouring hot water over all.
- Cover and bake at 350 °F for 30 minutes, uncover and bake 10 minutes longer.
- Serve warm or chilled.
- Apple Cheese Betty: Spoon 1 cup ricotta cheese over first layer of apples, bread, and sugar. Complete as above.