Apple Bread by the New Jersey Department of Agriculture, public domain government resource—original source of recipe
- ½ cup butter (1 stick)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp buttermilk
- ½ cup chopped nuts (optional)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup apples, coarsely chopped, unpeeled
- Cream butter; gradually add sugar. Add eggs and beat well.
- Add the sifted dry ingredients to the creamed mixture.
- Add buttermilk.
- Stir in apples, nuts, and vanilla. Do not over mix.
- Bake at 350 °F for 50 – 60 minutes in a greased 9-in. by 5-in. loaf pan.