- 1 cup cooked pink beans
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup apple butter
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp ground allspice
- 1 cup Apple
- 4 cup confectioners' Sugar
- 4 tbsp butter or margarine
- 5 tbsp coffee
- Grease 3 8-inch round cake pans. Preheat oven to 350 °F.
- In a medium bowl, cream shortening and Sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add egg; continue beating until light. Stir in bean puree and apple butter.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, cloves and allspice into a medium bowl.
- Stir flour mixture into bean mixture until blended. Mix in diced Apple. Pour into greased pans.
- Bake 30 to 40 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes.
- Remove cakes from pans. Cool on racks.
- Prepare coffee Icing in a small bowl by combining powdered sugar, butter and a dash of salt.
- Beat with electric mixer on low speed until blended. Add 3 to 4 tablespoons coffee.
- Beat until smooth. Beat in remaining coffee, 1 teaspoon at a time as needed for spreading consistency.
- Layer cakes with icing.