- Ethnicity - South Indian
- Type of meal - Party, Lunch, Dinner
- 3 cup: Rice-soak in water with daal
- 1 cup: Urad daal dhuli-soak for 4 hours
- 1 cup: Coconut-grated
- 1 tbsp: methi dana
- 1 tsp: salt or to taste
- An appam maker or a small, shallow kadahi- 6”-8” diameter on top oil to cook
- Drain the water out of the daal mixture and grind together with the coconut and salt.
- Leave to ferment 6-7 hours, or overnight.
- When fermented, add enough water to make it a pouring consistency.
- Heat a tablespoon of oil in the kadahi/appam maker, swirl it around and pour off extra oil.
- When hot, pour about L cup batter in the kadahi.
- Turn the kadahi around swiftly, to let a thin layer rise up to cover the sides of the kadahi also. The center is thicker.
- Cover, lower the heat and cook, till the edges start lifting (about a minute).
- Uncover, ease out the appam thus formed and transfer on to a serving plate.
- Continue thus with the rest of the batter.
- You might have to grease again only after 3-4 appams
Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.